May 6, 2012

Avengers Sets part 2

S  P  O  I  L  E  R       W  A  R  N  I  N  G

After filming the Thor / Loki confrontation on the promontory set, a change-over began. Another set was designed to use the same basic layout. When they told me who the set was for, my comic-nerd excitement was pushed completely over the edge. This set was proof that Wheden was going to give a very special nod to the hardcore comic fans. Thanos. When James, the Production Designer spoke that name, my spastic outburst left him shaking his head and commenting that he was going to have give me any further information on a drip-feed so my head wouldn't explode.
And I needed more info. Mistress Death? ... Hovering throne!??  No more questioned answered for me.

 In progress shot of floating asteroid set seen at the beginning and during the credits scene.

 The Thanos Throne.

Then on to Cleveland which going to stand in for the destruction of New York City. We had to make rubble to match buildings in downtown Cleveland. 

Taking a break amid the rubble.

Skulboy Strikes The Avengers!

Couldn't help put the old Skulboy mark on this relief panel I sculpted for the obelisk we made for the Loki museum scene. This was one of the final pieces we did as the show came to a close.

An incredible experience, but not perfect.
Pro: A Marvel comic book fan's dream to get to work on the greatest of all superhero movies.
Easily the coolest thing I've had the privilege to work on in my 12 years in the industry.

Con: I had to spend almost 6 months away from my wife and home while on location. It's just a shame they no longer make many movies in Los Angeles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing to see a glimpse of all the detail snd hard work everybody did. It looked fantastic on screen.
Here via whedonesque.com, you´ll probably get some traffic today..

Thank for the pictures.
Anne in Denmark