October 21, 2007

More Molding

Being as this is my first 2-part mold, I've made a mistake or two along the way.
You may notice in the photo below that I made the bottom plaster jacket too thin.

Cracking the plaster and opening up the jackets.

Clay was then removed from jacket and from the top half of figure.

Very careful not to damage the sculpt, the wed clay is taken right to the figure to create the seam line, a "key" trench is dug into the clay and the whole half is sprayed with Crystal Clear.

Bleeder holes and a pour hole are drilled through the plaster and then its...

silicone time! The silicone is poured in and will fill the negative space in the plaster jacket that was created by the wed clay and capture all the detail of the figure sculpture.

No comments: